Fired daily at noon, the Gianicolo cannon has characterized the Roman life since 1847 when Pope Pius IX ordered to fire the cannon,and the city’s church bells begin ringing all at the same time. But last February 17th 2018, the shot of the Gianicolo cannon marked not just 12:00 o’clock in the capital, but also the celebration of the “Collection of varieties of Italian vines” in the Botanical Garden Museum in Rome.
The project, promoted by the wine expert Luca Maroni and director of the Botanical Garden in Rome Professor Loretta Gratani, is aimed at the conservation of biodiversity,the study of ampelographic varieties and dissemination of Italian wine culture.
154 vines from 20 Italian regions were planted in the Botanical Garden of Rome and operated by the Sapienza University of Rome. It covers an area of about 12 hectares and is situated in the heart of the capital, surrounded by grandiose buildings, such as Palazzo Corsini, Palazzo Farnesina and Colle del Gianicolo.
Visitors from all over the world can now enjoy not only Rome’s historical and artistic heritage, but also admire the beauty of Italian ampelographs.
The address to visit the botanical garden is: Largo Cristina di Svezia, 24, 00165 Rome.
*To read more (in Italian) click on
Corriere Vinicolo pp.19-20, 5 March 2018